Friday 1 February 2013

Crate Texturing

Week One
During week one of our new module Game Texture Development we had to do a crate. For it we had to use the hand painted texture method. In this post I will go through the basics of doing on this crate, because I just started blogging I won't be able to add to much details, however in the future my post will contain more details about my work.

I started by creating a plane in Maya and after that extruded one face, scaling it down. After that I had do extrude the face again to the inside, so I could get that indent, as it's shown on the image below, but there was one problem. After the extruding there were two face overlapping each other and I had to delete one so it looked nice. Then the only thing left to do was to copied the plane and connected them with each other.


When it came to the UV layout it was pretty easy. I had each face overlap each other so they  all shared the same UV texture space. As show on the image:

I made UV Snapshot of the UV's as a Targa file and placed the image inside of Photoshop. The size for the texture was set for 256x256. I used a basic brown base on which I added the bevelled planks and the side where the wood meets. After hand painting the dents in the wood I used Photoshop Effects: Inner Shadow and Outer Glow, so they had better features. Then I added this image over the texture, putting the layer on multiply so it could show through the texture below it, as it's show on the images below.



In the end I rendered it out inside of Marmoset Toolbag and there is the final result:

Nikolay Kolev- 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment